Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Foo Fighters Taking a Break

                                                                                                                 Photo Credit: Foo Fighters Official Facebook Page
Here's some disappointing news. The Foo Fighters have officially announced that they will be taking an indefinite break from recording and touring. After 18 years and seven studio albums, the band's founder and frontman, Dave Grohl, said in a note to fans on Facebook that he wasn't sure when the band would be playing again.

"It feels strange to say that, but it's a good thing for all of us to go away for a while. It's one of the reasons we're still here," he said. 

The band has recently completed a tour in support of its 2011 Grammy-winning album, Wasting Light, which saw the band reuniting with guitarist Pat Smear, who last played with the band on The Color and the Shape in 1997, and producer, Butch Vig, who produced Grohl's other famous band, Nirvana.

It was also the only album out of the band's entire catalog to feature Grohl's former bandmate from Nirvana, Kris Novoselic.

It's a pity that the Foo Fighters have decided to take a hiatus although i don't expect Grohl to remain quiet (if there's a workaholic in rock music, it's him). 

Despite releasing seven albums with the Foo Fighters over the last 18 years, Grohl's somehow managed the time to record an album with Queens of the Stone Age, form a supergroup called Them Vultures with John Paul Jones and Josh Homme, and release a heavy metal album under the moniker, Probot. 

And let's not forget the fact that he's played drums on albums by Nine Inch Nails to Slash over the course of those 18 years. One thing's for sure, Grohl won't stay under the radar for too long. 

Here's Grohl's entire note to his fans from the Foo Fighters official Facebook page:


"Hey everyone...

Dave here. Just wanted to write and thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for another incredible year. (Our 18th, to be exact!) We truly never could have done any of this without you...

Never in my wildest dreams did I think Foo Fighters would make it this far. I never thought we COULD make it this far, to be honest. There were times when I didn't think the band would survive. There were times when I wanted to give up. But... I can't give up this band. And I never will. Because it's not just a band to me. It's my life. It's my family. It's my world.

Yes... I was serious. I'm not sure when the Foo Fighters are going to play again. It feels strange to say that, but it's a good thing for all of us to go away for a while. It's one of the reasons we're still here. Make sense? I never want to NOT be in this band. So, sometimes it's good to just... put it back in the garage for a while...

But, no gold watches or vacations just yet... I'll be focusing all of my energy on finishing up my Sound City documentary film and album for worldwide release in the very near future. A year in the making, it could be the biggest, most important project I've ever worked on. Get ready... it's coming.

Me, Taylor, Nate, Pat, Chris, and Rami... I'm sure we'll all see you out there... somewhere...

Thank you, thank you, thank you..."

 




No comments:

Post a Comment